After years of living in a shared flat or with your parents, is it now time to move into your own apartment? Then an exciting time begins now! But before you hit the furniture stores and malls, take some time to think about what you really need. You can set up your first apartment without going into debt for months – and still feel really comfortable. Our checklist will help you with this. To see wallpaper for the bathroom, please check listofledlights.
Get these things done before you furnish your first apartment
So that you don’t get completely lost in the furniture store, you should clarify a few important questions in advance. Your budget is the most important factor: Set yourself an absolute upper limit that must not be exceeded. A precise floor plan with all (!) dimensions of the new apartment is also included. Remember to also consider baseboards, heaters, sloping ceilings and similar things.
Next, you can plan roughly: Sit or lie down on the floor in different places and use this to check where you want to place seating, tables and your bed: You may not yet know exactly when you are furnishing your first apartment exactly where you want to sleep or relax. You should also choose the color beforehand – and preferably paint the walls before the furniture “moves in”.
If you want to approach things more professionally, you can plan your apartment on paper or even digitally before you set it up for the first time. Don’t let niches or unfavorable floor plans hold you back: With custom-made furniture, you can find a use for really every space. Don’t forget to plan plenty of storage space to keep your home tidy. Chests of drawers or sideboards are great for this.
Ideas for furnishing your first apartment
Whole books are written about how to set up your first apartment. We can’t repeat them here, but the following tips will definitely steer you in the right direction:
- Get inspiration! If you don’t have any idea yet, let yourself be inspired by our living examples before you buy furniture .
- Which style of living suits you? Country house, white living or Bauhaus style? Take a look at our overview of the most popular living styles to find your favourite.
- Small apartment? Check out how to decorate small spaces to make them appear bigger.
- Play of light: With these simple tricks you can conjure up a perfect feel-good atmosphere with light sources.
Inspired? Then it’s time to furnish your first apartment with suitable furniture.
Now it’s time to set up your apartment: You need this furniture
We recommend furnishing your home with custom-made furniture. These have the advantage that you can choose the exact dimensions as well as perfectly match all colors and designs. This creates a wonderfully harmonious overall picture in your apartment.
Now for buying furniture: Of course, every apartment is unique, but the basic equipment is almost always the same. Use this handy checklist to furnish your first apartment:
Furniture for your living room
- Sofa or other seating
- Coffee table/end table or work table
- Storage space (e.g. shelves)
Furniture for your bedroom
- Bed(mattress, blanket, pillow and covers)
- Wardrobe(plus hangers)
Furniture for your kitchen (if there is no fitted kitchen)
- Base and wall cabinets
- possibly dining table and chairs
- Electrical appliances: refrigerator, stove, kettle, coffee maker, toaster, etc.
Furniture for your bathroom
- Mirror cabinet
- Washing machine
Also think about:
- Ceiling lamps and small and large floor and table lamps
- Wastepaper baskets/bins
- Brooms/vacuum cleaners, cleaning materials
- Textiles such as blankets, pillows, towels, runners
- in the kitchen: crockery, cutlery, pots and pans
- in the bathroom: toilet brush, toilet paper holder, shower curtain, towel rail
- Tools to assemble your furniture and attach the lamps
Checklist, dimensions and inspiration at hand? Then we wish you a lot of success and joy in furnishing your first apartment.