According to top-engineering-schools, Texarkana, Texas is located in Bowie County, Texas and is the largest city in the county. It borders Arkansas and is considered a twin city to Texarkana, Arkansas. The city has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters. The average yearly temperature is around 64 degrees Fahrenheit and the average yearly rainfall is approximately 43 inches.
The history of Texarkana dates back to 1873 when it was founded as a railroad town by the Texas & Pacific Railway Company. Since then, it has grown into a bustling community filled with activities for all ages. Politically, Texarkana has been run by a mayor-council form of government since its inception. The current mayor is Bob Bruggeman, who was elected in 2018.
The economy of Texarkana is led by manufacturing and agriculture sectors, with major employers including Tyson Foods, Cooper Tire & Rubber Co., and Affiliated Foods Southwest Inc., among others. In addition to these industries, tourism plays an important role in the local economy as well; attractions include Texarkana Regional Airport (TXK), Perot Theatre for the Performing Arts, Ace of Clubs House Museum, and more.
Education in Texarkana includes public schools operated by the Texarkana Independent School District as well as several private schools such as Texas High School and Trinity School of Texas. Other educational opportunities can be found at nearby universities such as University of Arkansas at Texarkana or Southern Arkansas University – both offering bachelor’s degrees at their campuses located within 30 miles of downtown Texarkana.
When it comes to landmarks in this area there are plenty to enjoy! Popular attractions include historic buildings such as the Ace of Clubs House Museum which offers insight into life in late 19th century America; or Discovery Place Museum which features interactive exhibits on science and nature; or Perot Theatre for performing arts events such as plays or musicals; or Spring Lake Park which provides many outdoor recreational activities including fishing and hiking trails; or Four States Fairgrounds which hosts events throughout the year ranging from rodeos to carnivals to markets etc.; there are also numerous restaurants that offer dishes from all over the world!
Population: 34,782. Estimated population in July 2020: 35,746 (+2.8% change)
Males: 16,380 (47.1%), Females: 18,402 (52.9%)
Zip codes: 75501, 75503.
Median resident age: 35.7 years
Median household income: $29,727
Median house value: $65,800
Races in Texarkana:
- White Non-Hispanic (58.1%)
- Black (37.0%)
- Hispanic (2.9%)
- Other race (1.4%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
Ancestries: United States (10.0%), Irish (7.9%), English (6.4%), German (6.1%), Scotch-Irish (2.2%), French (2.0%).
Land area: 25.6 square miles
Texarkana, Texas is a city located on the Arkansas-Texas state line. It has a population of approximately 36,000 people as of 2020. The population is diverse and includes both rural and urban populations. The city is predominantly white with around 66% of the population identifying as such. African American individuals make up about 23% of the population, while Hispanic or Latino individuals make up 7%. Around 5% of the population identify as Asian or Pacific Islander.
Texarkana also has a large economic base that includes manufacturing, healthcare, education, and retail trade. The largest employers in the area are medical centers and schools. Texarkana College is a two-year community college that serves over 8,000 students per year. There are several other higher learning institutions such as University of Arkansas at Texarkana and Texas A&M University-Texarkana that provide students with educational opportunities in the area. Additionally, there are numerous large companies such as Tyson Foods Inc., Walmart Stores Inc., and Georgia-Pacific Corporation that provide employment to many residents in Texarkana.
The city also has many recreational activities to offer its residents including museums, parks, golf courses, and sports teams like the Texarkana Gunslingers baseball team which plays in the United League Baseball league. There are also many restaurants offering cuisine from around the world as well as local favorites like barbecue and Mexican food. Texarkana also hosts several festivals throughout the year including Mardi Gras celebrations in February/March and Christmas parades in December that attract thousands of visitors from all over Texas and Arkansas each year.
For population 25 years and over in Texarkana
- High school or higher: 79.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 20.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.8%
- Unemployed: 9.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Texarkana city
- Never married: 26.9%
- Now married: 47.6%
- Separated: 3.8%
- Widowed: 9.5%
- Divorced: 12.2%
1.9% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +1,131 (+3.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers in Texarkana:
- CHRISTUS ST MICHAEL HEALTH CARE CENTER (2600 ST MICHAEL DR)
- CHRISTUS ST MICHAEL REHAB HOSPITAL (2400 ST MICHAEL DRIVE)
- DUBUIS HOSPITAL OF TEXARKANA (2600 ST MICHAEL DRIVE)
- HEALTHSOUTH REHAB HOSP OF TEXARKANA (515 WEST 12TH STREET)
- WADLEY REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (1000 PINE STREET)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Texarkana:
- TEXARKANA REGIONAL-WEBB FIELD (about 6 miles; TEXARKANA, AR; Abbreviation: TXK)
- BARKSDALE AFB (about 71 miles; BOSSIER CITY, LA; Abbreviation: BAD)
- SHREVEPORT REGIONAL (about 72 miles; SHREVEPORT, LA; Abbreviation: SHV)
Other public-use airports nearest to Texarkana:
- HALL-MILLER MUNI (about 25 miles; ATLANTA, TX; Abbreviation: ATA)
- IDA’S (about 33 miles; IDA, LA; Abbreviation: L87)
- HOPE MUNI (about 35 miles; HOPE, AR; Abbreviation: M18)
Amtrak station near Texarkana:
- 3 miles: TEXARKANA (100 E. FRONT ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/Universities in Texarkana:
- TEXARKANA COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 1,779; Location: 2500 N ROBISON RD; Public; Website: tc.cc.tx.us)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-TEXARKANA (Full-time enrollment: 690; Location: 2600 N ROBINSON RD; Public; Website: www.tamut.edu; Offers Master’s degree)
- CAREER ACADEMY INC (Full-time enrollment: 31; Location: 32 OAK LAWN VILLAGE; Private, for-profit)
- WADLEY REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER-SCHOOL OF RAD TECHN (Location: BOX 1878; Private, not-for-profit)
- MARY LYNNES BEAUTY SCHOOL (Location: 324 HICKORY; Private, for-profit)
- WADLEY REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER SCHOOL OF MED TECH (Location: 1000 PINE ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.wadleyrmc.com)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Texarkana:
- SOUTHERN ARKANSAS UNIVERSITY MAIN CAMPUS (about 62 miles; MAGNOLIA, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,646)
- BOSSIER PARISH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 66 miles; BOSSIER CITY, LA; Full-time enrollment: 2,743)
- HENDERSON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 75 miles; ARKADELPHIA, AR; Full-time enrollment: 3,109)
- LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY-SHREVEPORT (about 81 miles; SHREVEPORT, LA; Full-time enrollment: 3,059)
- KILGORE COLLEGE (about 92 miles; KILGORE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,814)
- TYLER JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 113 miles; TYLER, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,872)
- GRAMBLING STATE UNIVERSITY (about 113 miles; GRAMBLING, LA; Full-time enrollment: 4,299)
Public high schools in Texarkana:
- TEXAS H S (Students: 1,430; Location: 2112 KENNEDY LN; Grades: 09 – 12)
- LIBERTY-EYLAU H S (Students: 657; Location: 2905 LEOPARD DR; Grades: 09 – 12)
- PLEASANT GROVE H S (Students: 621; Location: 5406 MCKNIGHT; Grades: 09 – 12)
- OPTIONS (Students: 98; Location: 4241 SUMMERHILL RD; Grades: 09 – 12)
- ALTER SCH (Students: 85; Location: 2901 LEOPARD DR; Grades: 07 – 12)
Private high school in Texarkana:
- N.A.I. CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 196; Location: 5801 SUMMERHILL RD; Grades: PK – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Texarkana:
- TEXAS MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 1,272; Location: 2100 COLLEGE DR; Grades: 05 – 08)
- LIBERTY-EYLAU MIDDLE (Students: 802; Location: 5555 LEOPARD DR; Grades: 05 – 08)
- PLEASANT GROVE EL (Students: 700; Location: 6500 PLEASANT GROVE RD; Grades: PK – 04)
- PLEASANT GROVE MIDDLE (Students: 604; Location: 5605 COOKS LN; Grades: 05 – 08)
- LIBERTY-EYLAU C K BENDER ELEMENTAR (Students: 584; Location: 2300 BUCHANAN RD; Grades: 02 – 04)
- WESTLAWN EL (Students: 430; Location: 410 WESTLAWN DR; Grades: PK – 05)
- FIFTEENTH STREET EARLY LITERACY CE (Students: 406; Location: 2600 W 15TH ST; Grades: PK – 02)
- LIBERTY-EYLAU PRI (Students: 393; Location: 5492 HWY 59 S; Grades: KG – 01)
- HIGHLAND PARK EL (Students: 349; Location: 401 W 25TH ST; Grades: PK – 05)
- SPRING LAKE PARK ELEMENTARY (Students: 308; Location: 4324 GHIO FISH BLVD; Grades: PK – 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Texarkana:
- ST JAMES DAY SCHOOL (Students: 294; Location: 5501 N. STATELINE; Grades: PK – 6)
- LIBERTY EYLAU CHR (Students: 105; Location: 4903 EYLAU LOOP ROAD; Grades: PK – 3)
- FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH (Students: 100; Location: 3015 MOORES LANE; Grades: PK – KG)
- ABC KINDERGARTEN (Students: 18; Location: 3505 BEECHWOOD LANE; Grades: PK – KG)
- BETHEL S D A SCHOOL (Students: 8; Location: PO BOX 660; Grades: KG – 7)
Library in Texarkana:
- TEXARKANA PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $673,704; Location: 600 W 3RD ST; 84,369 books; 3,121 audio materials; 2,489 video materials; 152 serial subscriptions)