According to ABLOGTOPHONE, Texline, Texas is a small town located in the far northwestern corner of the state. It is part of Dallam County and borders both New Mexico and Oklahoma. The town itself is situated on a high plain, with a semi-arid climate. This area of Texas is known for its extreme weather conditions; summer temperatures often soar above 100 degrees Fahrenheit while winter temperatures can dip below freezing.
The history of Texline dates back to the 19th century when it was first established as a trading post along the old Santa Fe Trail. Since then, it has been an important stopover point for travelers and traders heading westward into New Mexico and Oklahoma. In more recent years, Texline has become an agricultural center with many farms producing cotton, sorghum, wheat, and other crops.
Politically speaking, Texline is part of Texas’ 13th Congressional district which is currently represented by Republican Mac Thornberry in the U.S House of Representatives. Locally, the town is governed by a mayor-council form of government which consists of five council members elected at large to four-year terms along with an appointed mayor who serves as chief executive officer for the city government.
The economy of Texline revolves around agriculture and tourism due to its proximity to both New Mexico and Oklahoma attractions such as Palo Duro Canyon State Park and Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument just across the border in Oklahoma. Other major employers in the area include local schools such as Texline High School which provides educational opportunities for students in grades 9-12 while nearby Dalhart Community College offers higher education options for students in need of vocational or technical training programs or college transfer courses.
Texline boasts several landmarks including Old Adobe Church which was built in 1889 out of adobe bricks made from mud dug up from nearby fields; it stands today as a reminder of Texline’s rich cultural heritage that continues to be celebrated today through events such as its annual Fourth Of July festival which features rodeos, parades, music performances, and other activities that draw visitors from near and far each year.
Population: 511. Estimated population in July 2020: 514 (+0.6% change)
Males: 248 (48.5%), Females: 263 (51.5%)
Zip code: 79087
Median resident age: 32.8 years
Median household income: $32,188
Median house value: $40,000
Races in Texline:
- White Non-Hispanic (71.6%)
- Hispanic (26.8%)
- Other race (6.8%)
- Two or more races (2.9%)
- American Indian (1.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: English (15.7%), Irish (12.7%), German (11.7%), United States (9.0%), Dutch (3.3%), Scotch-Irish (2.3%).
Elevation: 4693 feet
Land area: 1.0 square miles
Texline is a small town located in the far northwest corner of the state of Texas. As of the 2010 census, there were 1,019 residents living in Texline. The population is predominantly white with 84.6% of people identifying as Caucasian and 11.8% identifying as Hispanic or Latino. The median age of the population is 42 years old, which is slightly older than the national average for towns and cities across the United States. Additionally, 28.4% of Texline’s population is married with children under the age 18 making up 22% of its inhabitants.
The median household income for Texline residents is $36,139 dollars per year with 21% living below the poverty line; this number is higher than both state and national averages. The majority of Texline’s economy revolves around agriculture, particularly livestock farming and cotton production, which make up much of its exports and provide many jobs to local residents. Education also plays a significant role in Texline’s economy as there are two elementary schools located within town limits; one public school and one private academy that serves students from pre-K through eighth grade.
For population 25 years and over in Texline
- High school or higher: 70.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.4%
- Unemployed: 3.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Texline town
- Never married: 21.7%
- Now married: 61.6%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 8.4%
- Divorced: 7.2%
11.2% Foreign born (11.2% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +87 (+20.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Texline:
- UNION COUNTY GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; CLAYTON, NM)
- COON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 35 miles; DALHART, TX)
- CIMARRON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 42 miles; BOISE CITY, OK)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Texline:
- LAMAR MUNI (about 119 miles; LAMAR, CO; Abbreviation: LAA)
- AMARILLO INTL (about 122 miles; AMARILLO, TX; Abbreviation: AMA)
- CANNON AFB (about 140 miles; CLOVIS, NM; Abbreviation: CVS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Texline:
- CLAYTON MUNI ARPK (about 10 miles; CLAYTON, NM; Abbreviation: CAO)
- PRICE RANCH (about 34 miles; MOUNT DORA, NM; Abbreviation: 0E1)
- DALHART MUNI (about 43 miles; DALHART, TX; Abbreviation: DHT)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Texline:
- AMARILLO COLLEGE (about 115 miles; AMARILLO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,876)
- WEST TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY (about 125 miles; CANYON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,476)
- NEW MEXICO HIGHLANDS UNIVERSITY (about 153 miles; LAS VEGAS, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,278)
- EASTERN NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 154 miles; PORTALES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,955)
- PUEBLO COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 168 miles; PUEBLO, CO; Full-time enrollment: 2,587)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN COLORADO (about 170 miles; PUEBLO, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,275)
- WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 176 miles; PLAINVIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,578)
Public primary/middle school in Texline:
- TEXLINE SCHOOL (Students: 146; Location: 302 E PINE; Grades: KG – 12)
Library in Texline:
- TEXLINE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $2,026; Location: 222 N 2ND ST; 2,080 books)