According to Watchtutorials, Thompsons, Texas is located in the south-central region of the state and is part of the Brazos Valley. It has a humid subtropical climate, with hot summers and mild winters. The area was first settled by Native Americans in the 18th century and later by European settlers who were attracted to the area’s fertile soil and abundant resources.
The city of Thompsons has a diverse economy that includes agriculture, manufacturing, education, healthcare, retail, and tourism. Agriculture is an important part of the local economy with corn, cotton, soybeans, hay and other crops being grown in abundance. The manufacturing sector is also strong with several large industries located in or near the city. Education is provided by several local public schools as well as a number of private institutions. Healthcare services are provided by several hospitals as well as numerous clinics throughout the city. Retail outlets are abundant throughout Thompsons offering shoppers a wide variety of goods and services. Tourism is also an important part of the local economy with many tourists visiting each year to take advantage of Thompsons’ attractions such as its historic downtown district which features many beautiful old buildings dating back to early settlement days.
Thompsons is known for its many landmarks including the Brazos Valley Museum which houses artifacts from Native American culture as well as early settlers to the area; The National Register Historic District which includes a number of buildings from different periods; The Old Town Hall which was built in 1885; The Old First Presbyterian Church which was built in 1891; And The Thompson County Courthouse which was built in 1897 and still stands today. These landmarks offer visitors a glimpse into Thompsons’ past while providing an interesting look at its history and culture.
Population: 236. Estimated population in July 2020: 274 (+16.1% change)
Males: 112 (47.5%), Females: 124 (52.5%)
Fort Bend County
Zip code: 77481
Median resident age: 39.0 years
Median household income: $32,083
Median house value: $80,000
Races in Thompsons:
- Black (47.0%)
- White Non-Hispanic (40.7%)
- Hispanic (8.1%)
- Other race (3.8%)
- Two or more races (2.5%)
- Filipino (0.8%)
- Vietnamese (0.8%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (7.6%), Irish (6.8%), United States (5.5%), Welsh (3.4%), Arab (2.5%), English (2.5%).
Land area: 6.2 square miles
Thompsons, Texas is a small town located in the heart of the state, with a population of just over 3,000 people. The majority of the population is made up of families and individuals who have lived in Thompsons for generations. The town has a strong sense of community and pride, which is evident in its diverse population. Thompsons boasts a variety of ethnicities and religions, including African American, Hispanic/Latino, Asian American, and Native American. There are also many different religious denominations represented in Thompsons, including Protestantism, Catholicism, Judaism and Islam. The town also welcomes people from all walks of life who come to live and work here.
The economy in Thompsons is largely based on agriculture; however there are several other industries that contribute to the local economy such as manufacturing and retail. The town also has an active tourism sector due to its location near several major attractions such as Lake Texoma and the Red River Valley National Wildlife Refuge. Despite its small size Thompsons offers plenty of opportunities for employment with several local businesses offering jobs ranging from retail clerk to factory worker to office manager.
Thompsons is a great place to raise children due to its excellent public schools that offer advanced curricula as well as extracurricular activities such as band, sports teams and clubs for students interested in music or art. For those looking for higher education opportunities there are nearby universities like Texas A&M University-Commerce or Grayson College that offer degree programs at both undergraduate and graduate levels. Additionally there are many adult education classes offered through local organizations like Faith & Family Learning Center or the Adult Learning Center that provide continuing education classes for those looking to further their career or gain new skillsets.
For population 25 years and over in Thompsons
- High school or higher: 70.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.4%
- Unemployed: 3.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 34.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Thompsons town
- Never married: 29.7%
- Now married: 51.0%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 9.9%
- Divorced: 8.3%
3.0% Foreign born (1.3% Asia, 1.3% Africa, 0.4% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +55 (+30.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Thompsons:
- METHODIST SUGAR LAND HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; SUGAR LAND, TX)
- MEMORIAL HERMANN FORT BEND HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; MISSOURI CITY, TX)
- POLLY RYON HOSP AUTHORITY (about 12 miles; RICHMOND, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Thompsons:
- WILLIAM P HOBBY (about 26 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: HOU)
- BRAZORIA COUNTY (about 29 miles; ANGLETON/LAKE JACKSON, TX; Abbreviation: LBX)
- ELLINGTON FIELD (about 33 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: EFD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Thompsons:
- SUGAR LAND RGNL (about 10 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: SGR)
- HOUSTON-SOUTHWEST (about 10 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: AXH)
- LANE AIRPARK (about 12 miles; ROSENBERG, TX; Abbreviation: T54)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Thompsons:
- HOUSTON BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 16 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,273)
- RICE UNIVERSITY (about 21 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,158)
- UNIVERSITY OF ST THOMAS (about 24 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,541)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-UNIVERSITY PARK (about 24 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 25,479)
- TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 24 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,808)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-DOWNTOWN (about 25 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,236)
- ALVIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 26 miles; ALVIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,094)