According to BESTITUDE, Tom Bean is a small city located in Grayson County, Texas. It is situated in the north-eastern part of the state, near the border with Oklahoma. The city has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters. The average temperature in summer is around 90 degrees Fahrenheit and in winter it rarely drops below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
The history of Tom Bean dates back to 1883 when it was established as a farming community by settlers from nearby Sherman, Texas. The town quickly grew and became an important center for cotton production and shipping. In the early 20th century, Tom Bean was known for its thriving oil industry, which brought about economic growth for the town and its residents.
Tom Bean’s politics are largely conservative but there are some progressive elements to be found in the city’s government and population. The economy of Tom Bean is mostly based on local businesses such as agriculture, retail stores, restaurants, and service industries. The school system consists of two elementary schools, one middle school, one high school, as well as a private Christian school.
Tom Bean has many notable landmarks including the old Cotton Gin Museum which houses artifacts from early settlers as well as exhibits showcasing local history and culture. Other attractions include Lake Crockett which offers fishing and recreational activities such as boating and swimming; the Tom Bean Depot which was built in 1901; and Staley Park which provides picnic sites along with playgrounds for children to enjoy.
Population: 941. Estimated population in July 2020: 995 (+5.7% change)
Males: 449 (47.7%), Females: 492 (52.3%)
Zip code: 75489
Median resident age: 32.2 years
Median household income: $38,875
Median house value: $69,800
Races in Tom Bean:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.5%)
- Hispanic (3.9%)
- American Indian (1.5%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (19.8%), Irish (11.5%), German (10.2%), English (9.6%), Scotch-Irish (2.3%), Dutch (2.2%).
Elevation: 802 feet
Land area: 1.4 square miles
Tom Bean, Texas is a small town located in Grayson County. According to the 2010 census, the population of Tom Bean was 875 people. The town has a total area of 1.4 square miles and a population density of 622 people per square mile.
The majority of the population in Tom Bean is white at 92%, with African Americans making up 4% and Hispanics making up 3%. There are approximately 41 families living in Tom Bean and the median household income for this area is $41,964. The median age for residents is 42 years old.
The majority of residents in Tom Bean are homeowners at 84%, with 11% renting their homes and 5% living in other types of housing units such as mobile homes or RVs. Education is important to the citizens of Tom Bean as evidenced by the fact that there are two schools located within city limits: Tom Bean Elementary School and Tom Bean High School. Additionally, there are numerous churches located throughout town that provide spiritual guidance and fellowship to locals.
Tom Bean also boasts several businesses including an auto repair shop, grocery store, bank, gas station, pharmacy and more that help provide necessary services to locals while also contributing to the employment rate in the area. In addition to these services, there are several parks located within city limits that offer residents a chance to get out into nature for some recreation or relaxation time. All in all, it’s clear that despite its small size, Tom Bean offers its citizens plenty of amenities typical found only in larger cities.
For population 25 years and over in Tom Bean
- High school or higher: 88.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.2%
- Unemployed: 3.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Tom Bean city
- Never married: 17.7%
- Now married: 61.9%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 9.4%
- Divorced: 9.1%
0.7% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +114 (+13.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Tom Bean:
- REGIONAL HOSPITAL OF TEXOMA (about 11 miles; SHERMAN, TX)
- WILSON N JONES MEMORIAL HOSP-NORTH CAM (about 11 miles; SHERMAN, TX)
- WILSON N JONES MEDICAL CENTER (about 17 miles; SHERMAN, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Tom Bean:
- DALLAS LOVE FIELD (about 54 miles; DALLAS, TX; Abbreviation: DAL)
- DALLAS/FORT WORTH INTERNATIONAL (about 59 miles; DALLAS-FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: DFW)
- FORT WORTH ALLIANCE (about 69 miles; FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: AFW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Tom Bean:
- SHERMAN MUNI (about 10 miles; SHERMAN, TX; Abbreviation: SWI)
- GRAYSON COUNTY (about 18 miles; SHERMAN/DENISON, TX; Abbreviation: GYI)
- JONES FIELD (about 23 miles; BONHAM, TX; Abbreviation: F00)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Tom Bean:
- GRAYSON COUNTY COLLEGE (about 18 miles; DENISON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,082)
- COLLIN COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-CENTRAL PARK (about 26 miles; MCKINNEY, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,514)
- SOUTHEASTERN OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 35 miles; DURANT, OK; Full-time enrollment: 3,165)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT DALLAS (about 42 miles; RICHARDSON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,695)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-COMMERCE (about 45 miles; COMMERCE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,998)
- RICHLAND COLLEGE (about 46 miles; DALLAS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,352)
- NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS COLLEGE (about 46 miles; GAINESVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,018)
Public high school in Tom Bean:
- TOM BEAN H S (Students: 279; Location: 7719 STATE HWY 11; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Tom Bean:
- TOM BEAN EL (Students: 349; Location: 7719 STATE HWY 11; Grades: PK – 05)
- TOM BEAN MIDDLE (Students: 224; Location: 7719 STATE HWY 11; Grades: 06 – 08)