According to BIOTIONARY, Tomball, Texas is situated in the northwest corner of the state, and is part of the Greater Houston Metropolitan Area. The city has a humid subtropical climate, with hot summers and mild winters. Tomball was founded in 1907 when the International-Great Northern Railroad came to town. The city was named after Thomas Ball, a local businessman who helped develop the town.
Tomball is a small city with an estimated population of 11,000 people as of 2019. It operates under a mayor-council form of government with six council members elected by place to serve two-year terms. The city has its own police department and fire department that provide services to its citizens. Tomball also has its own public school district (Tomball ISD) which serves over 15,000 students from grades K-12.
The economy in Tomball primarily revolves around oil and gas production, as well as manufacturing and retail businesses. There are several large employers in the area such as Schlumberger, Halliburton Energy Services, ExxonMobil Corporation, and Anadarko Petroleum Corporation. Additionally, there are numerous smaller businesses that contribute to the local economy such as restaurants, banks, stores and medical offices.
Tomball’s educational system is highly respected throughout the state for its quality schools including Tomball High School which was ranked 4th in Texas by U.S News & World Report for 2020 Best High Schools list along with Rosehill Elementary School being recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School for 2019/2020 school year . Additionally there are several higher education institutions located within close proximity such as Lone Star College System which offers associate degrees and certificates programs at six campuses located across North Harris County.
As for landmarks in Tomball, one popular tourist attraction that stands out is the town’s historic downtown district where visitors can find charming shops, restaurants, cafes, galleries, museums, antique stores, and other unique establishments. Other great places to visit include Burroughs Park which offers camping facilities, fishing piers, playgrounds, nature trails, horseshoe pits and picnic areas; Splashtown Waterpark; or Old Town Spring which houses an array of specialty boutiques & eateries.
Population: 9,089. Estimated population in July 2020: 9,938 (+9.3% change)
Males: 4,232 (46.6%), Females: 4,857 (53.4%)
Zip codes: 77375.
Median resident age: 34.6 years
Median household income: $37,787
Median house value: $108,600
Races in Tomball:
- White Non-Hispanic (80.9%)
- Hispanic (12.0%)
- Other race (5.6%)
- Black (4.9%)
- Two or more races (1.7%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (17.4%), Irish (11.6%), English (9.4%), United States (9.3%), French (5.8%), Italian (3.1%).
Land area: 10.2 square miles
Tomball, Texas is a small city located in Harris County, about 30 miles northwest of Houston. It has a population of 11,278 according to the 2019 U.S. Census. The city is part of the Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land metropolitan statistical area and has an estimated population density of 1,086 people per square mile. The median age of the population is 42 years with a gender split of 50.3% male and 49.7% female. The racial make-up of Tomball is 73% White, 14% Hispanic or Latino, 10% African American and 3% other races. The median household income for Tomball is $72,964 with an average household size of 3 persons per household. The majority (60%) of the population in Tomball has earned some form of higher education with 18% earning a Bachelor’s Degree or higher and 28 % earning an Associate’s Degree or higher. Additionally, about one quarter (25%) are employed in either professional/technical services or healthcare/social assistance industries while another quarter (25%) are employed in either retail trade or educational services industries respectively.
For population 25 years and over in Tomball
- High school or higher: 75.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 21.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.1%
- Unemployed: 4.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Tomball city
- Never married: 23.1%
- Now married: 50.4%
- Separated: 3.1%
- Widowed: 10.6%
- Divorced: 12.7%
7.9% Foreign born (6.4% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +2,737 (+43.1%).
Hospital/medical center in Tomball:
- TOMBALL REGIONAL HOSPITAL (605 HOLDERRIETH)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Tomball:
- METHODIST WILLOWBROOK HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; HOUSTON, TX)
- BEACON HEALTH LTD (about 11 miles; THE WOODLANDS, TX)
- CYPRESS FAIRBANKS MED CTR HOSPITAL (about 12 miles; HOUSTON, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Tomball:
- GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL ARPT/HOUSTON (about 22 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: IAH)
- WILLIAM P HOBBY (about 41 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: HOU)
- ELLINGTON FIELD (about 48 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: EFD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Tomball:
- MAY (about 6 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: T51)
- DAVID WAYNE HOOKS MEMORIAL (about 6 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: DWH)
- WEISER AIR PARK (about 12 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: EYQ)
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Tomball:
- TOMBALL BEAUTY ACADEMY (Location: 1231 ALMA STE M; Private, for-profit)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Tomball:
- NORTH HARRIS MONTGOMERY COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT (about 19 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 13,933)
- HOUSTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE SYSTEM (about 23 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 21,140)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER (about 23 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,595)
- PRAIRIE VIEW A & M UNIVERSITY (about 26 miles; PRAIRIE VIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,823)
- HOUSTON BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 30 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,273)
- UNIVERSITY OF ST THOMAS (about 30 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,541)
- RICE UNIVERSITY (about 30 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,158)
Public high school in Tomball:
- TOMBALL H S (Students: 2,478; Location: 30330 QUINN RD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Tomball:
- CONCORDIA LUTHERAN HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 384; Location: 700 E MAIN ST; Grades: 9 – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Tomball:
- SCHULTZ EL (Students: 999; Location: 7920 WILLOW FOREST; Grades: PK – 05)
- LAKEWOOD EL (Students: 776; Location: 15614 GETTYSBURG; Grades: PK – 04)
- KOHRVILLE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 776; Location: 11600 WOODLAND SHORE DR; Grades: PK – 05)
- WILLOW WOOD JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 708; Location: 11770 GREGSON RD; Grades: 07 – 09)
- TOMBALL ELEMENTARY (Students: 651; Location: 1110 INWOOD; Grades: PK – 04)
- ROSEHILL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 646; Location: 17950 WALLER TOMBALL RD; Grades: PK – 04)
- WILLOW CREEK EL (Students: 615; Location: 18302 N ELDRIDGE PKWY; Grades: PK – 04)
- NORTHPOINTE INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (Students: 612; Location: 11855 NORTHPOINTE BLVD; Grades: 04 – 06)
- TOMBALL J H (Students: 598; Location: 30430 QUINN RD; Grades: 07 – 08)
- BECKENDORF INT (Students: 356; Location: 1110 BAKER DR; Grades: 05 – 07)
Private primary/middle schools in Tomball:
- SALEM LUTHERAN SCHOOL (Students: 309; Location: 22607 LUTHERAN CHURCH ROAD; Grades: KG – 8)
- ST ANNES CATHOLIC SCHOOL (Students: 237; Location: 1111 S CHERRY STREET; Grades: PK – 8)
- STEP BY STEP CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 94; Location: 1119 S CHERRY; Grades: KG – 6)
- FIRST BAPTIST CHILD CARE CTR (Students: 49; Location: 411 OXFORD ST; Grades: PK – KG)
- ZION LUTHERAN SCHOOL EARLY CHI (Students: 20; Location: 907 HICKS; Grades: KG – 3)