According to electronicsmatter.com, Tulia, Texas is a small city in Swisher County, located in the northern part of the state. The city has a population of approximately 5,000 and is surrounded by a vast expanse of farmland. Tulia sits at an elevation of 2,811 feet above sea level, with an average temperature of 79 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer months and 38 degrees Fahrenheit in the winter months.
Tulia’s history dates back to 1891 when it was founded as a stop along the Fort Worth and Denver Railway line. It was officially incorporated as a city in 1905. During its early years, Tulia was known for its strong agricultural industry with cotton being one of its main crops. In more recent times, Tulia has become more diversified economically with businesses such as oil and gas exploration and manufacturing also having a presence in the area.
In terms of politics, Tulia is part of Texas’ 13th congressional district which is currently represented by Republican Mac Thornberry. The city government is headed by Mayor Greg Mitchell who was elected to his first term in 2017.
The economy of Tulia is based largely on agriculture but also includes some manufacturing and retail businesses such as convenience stores, restaurants and auto dealerships. There are also several oil companies that have operations in the area due to its proximity to nearby oil fields.
Tulia is served by two school districts: Tulia Independent School District (TISD) which covers most of Swisher County and Happy Independent School District (HISD) which serves portions of Swisher County outside TISD boundaries. Both school districts offer elementary through high school education with TISD having an additional alternative education program for students who are at risk or have special needs.
When it comes to landmarks, there are several historical sites that can be found around Tulia including the historic Swisher County Courthouse which was built in 1912 and still stands today; The Old Post Office which dates back to 1911; The First United Methodist Church which was built around 1890; And the historic Lillian Hotel which opened its doors way back in 1910.
Population: 5,117. Estimated population in July 2020: 4,714 (-7.9% change)
Males: 2,716 (53.1%), Females: 2,401 (46.9%)
Zip code: 79088
Median resident age: 32.6 years
Median household income: $27,794
Median house value: $38,900
Races in Tulia:
- White Non-Hispanic (51.0%)
- Hispanic (39.6%)
- Other race (22.1%)
- Black (8.4%)
- Two or more races (2.5%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (15.3%), English (4.8%), Irish (4.2%), German (4.0%), Scotch-Irish (1.4%).
Land area: 3.5 square miles
Tulia, Texas is located in the northern part of the state, near Amarillo. It is a small city with a population of approximately 5,400 people according to the 2020 census. The median age is 34 years old and the gender ratio is almost even with 48% male and 52% female. The majority of the population is white, but there are also sizable African American and Hispanic communities in Tulia. The median household income for Tulia is slightly above the national average at $44,000. Education levels are generally high with over 90% of adults holding a high school diploma or higher degree. There are also many opportunities for higher education in Tulia as it has two public post-secondary institutions – West Texas A&M University and Amarillo College. Additionally, there are numerous private schools in the area that offer additional educational opportunities to residents. The unemployment rate in Tulia is slightly lower than the national average at 3%. The city has an agricultural economy and many residents work on farms or ranches raising cattle and crops such as wheat, corn, cotton and hay. Additionally, there are several manufacturing industries that provide employment to local residents as well as many small businesses throughout town that contribute to the local economy.
For population 25 years and over in Tulia
- High school or higher: 64.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.7%
- Unemployed: 6.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 14.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Tulia city
- Never married: 25.1%
- Now married: 56.8%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 9.3%
- Divorced: 6.9%
5.8% Foreign born (5.8% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +422 (+9.0%).
Hospital/medical center in Tulia:
- SWISHER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (539 SOUTHEAST SECOND STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Tulia:
- COVENANT HOSPITAL PLAINVIEW (about 25 miles; PLAINVIEW, TX)
- W J MANGOLD MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 36 miles; LOCKNEY, TX)
- PLAINS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 42 miles; DIMMITT, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Tulia:
- AMARILLO INTL (about 47 miles; AMARILLO, TX; Abbreviation: AMA)
- LUBBOCK INTL (about 62 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Abbreviation: LBB)
- CANNON AFB (about 108 miles; CLOVIS, NM; Abbreviation: CVS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Tulia:
- CITY OF TULIA/SWISHER COUNTY MUNI (about 3 miles; TULIA, TX; Abbreviation: Q06)
- JOE VAUGHN SPRAYING (about 11 miles; KRESS, TX; Abbreviation: 29F)
- HALE COUNTY (about 26 miles; PLAINVIEW, TX; Abbreviation: PVW)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Tulia:
- WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 25 miles; PLAINVIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,578)
- WEST TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY (about 31 miles; CANYON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,476)
- AMARILLO COLLEGE (about 45 miles; AMARILLO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,876)
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 64 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)
- SOUTH PLAINS COLLEGE (about 78 miles; LEVELLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,851)
- EASTERN NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 112 miles; PORTALES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,955)
- MIDLAND COLLEGE (about 174 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,800)
Public high school in Tulia:
- TULIA H S (Students: 361; Location: 501 HORNET PL; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Tulia:
- TULIA J H (Students: 260; Location: 421 N E 3RD ST; Grades: 06 – 08)
- TULIA HIGHLAND EL (Students: 260; Location: 800 N W 9TH ST; Grades: PK – 02)
- W V SWINBURN EL (Students: 248; Location: 300 N DALLAS ST; Grades: 03 – 05)
Library in Tulia:
- SWISHER COUNTY LIBRARY (Operating income: $93,260; Location: 127 SW 2ND ST; 27,989 books; 1,016 audio materials; 47 video materials; 53 serial subscriptions)