According to TOPSCHOOLSINTHEUSA, Universal City is a small city located in Bexar County, Texas. It is a suburb of San Antonio and is situated between Randolph Air Force Base and the South Texas Medical Center. Geographically, Universal City is located in the northeastern portion of Bexar County and is part of the San Antonio metropolitan area. The city has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters.
The city of Universal City has a long history that dates back to the mid-1800s. The city was originally founded in 1851 by German settlers who named it “Universal” due to its location on the International-Great Northern Railroad line. Today, Universal City is a vibrant, growing community with plenty of economic and recreational opportunities.
Politically, Universal City is served by an elected mayor and five council members who are elected at-large. The city also has an appointed municipal judge and police chief who serve at the pleasure of the mayor and council. The current mayor is Steve Melendez, who was elected in 2019.
Universal City’s economy is driven primarily by its proximity to San Antonio as well as its many businesses and industries located within the city limits. These businesses include retail stores, restaurants, automotive dealerships, medical centers, banks, hotels, offices buildings and more. Additionally, Universal City hosts several annual festivals including the Annual Christmas Parade which features floats from local businesses as well as marching bands from area schools.
Universal City has several highly rated schools within its boundaries including Judson High School which was ranked among America’s Best High Schools for 2020 by U.S News & World Report. Other notable schools
Population: 14,849. Estimated population in July 2020: 16,653 (+12.1% change)
Males: 7,296 (49.1%), Females: 7,553 (50.9%)
Zip codes: 78148.
Median resident age: 37.2 years
Median household income: $50,501
Median house value: $93,200
Races in Universal City:
- White Non-Hispanic (66.5%)
- Hispanic (21.6%)
- Black (6.4%)
- Other race (5.6%)
- Two or more races (3.5%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
- Filipino (0.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (18.4%), Irish (13.9%), English (12.5%), United States (6.6%), French (4.1%), Italian (3.6%).
Elevation: 767 feet
Land area: 5.6 square miles
Universal City, Texas is a city located in Bexar County, with a population of around 28,000 people. It is situated just northeast of San Antonio, making it part of the San Antonio metropolitan area. The city was founded in 1959 and has seen steady growth over the years. Its population is composed of a diverse mix of individuals and families from all walks of life.
The majority of the population (72%) are Caucasian/non-Hispanic, followed by Hispanics (21%), African-Americans (3%), Asians (2%) and other races (2%). The median age is 33 years old which is slightly lower than the national average. The median household income in Universal City is $58,000 per year which is slightly above the state average. The unemployment rate in Universal City stands at 4%, which is lower than the national average. The city also boasts a highly educated population with 83% having obtained at least a high school diploma or higher.
Universal City offers its residents many amenities that make it an attractive place to live such as easy access to shopping, restaurants, entertainment venues and public transportation. The local school system includes four elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school that serve both students living within the city limits as well as those living nearby in unincorporated areas outside the city limits. Additionally, there are several private schools within close proximity to Universal City for those seeking an alternative educational option for their children.
For population 25 years and over in Universal City
- High school or higher: 90.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 29.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 10.8%
- Unemployed: 3.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Universal City city
- Never married: 20.5%
- Now married: 60.5%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 5.4%
- Divorced: 12.0%
7.1% Foreign born (2.7% Asia, 2.2% Latin America, 1.6% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,465 (+10.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Universal City:
- COMPASS HOSP OF SAN ANTONIO,THE (about 8 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX)
- MISSION VISTA HOSPITAL CO (about 8 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX)
- LAUREL RIDGE A BROWN SCHOOLS PSY HOSP (about 11 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Universal City:
- SAN ANTONIO INTL (about 12 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SAT)
- LACKLAND AFB (KELLY FLD ANNEX) (about 22 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SKF)
- AUSTIN-BERGSTROM INTL (about 62 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Abbreviation: AUS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Universal City:
- RANDOLPH AFB (about 4 miles; UNIVERSAL CITY, TX; Abbreviation: RND)
- TWIN-OAKS (about 11 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: T94)
- BULVERDE AIRPARK (about 17 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: 1T8)
Amtrak station near Universal City:
- 16 miles: SAN ANTONIO (224 HOEFGEN ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Universal City:
- UNIVERSITY OF THE INCARNATE WORD (about 12 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,734)
- ST PHILIPS COLLEGE (about 15 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,778)
- SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE (about 15 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 11,226)
- TRINITY UNIVERSITY (about 15 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,474)
- OUR LADY OF THE LAKE UNIVERSITY-SAN ANTONIO (about 18 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,312)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE-SAN ANTONIO (about 19 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,303)
- ST MARYS UNIVERSITY (about 20 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,588)
Public primary/middle schools in Universal City:
- KITTY HAWK MIDDLE (Students: 1,427; Location: 840 OLD CIMMARON TRL; Grades: 06 – 08)
- CORONADO VILLAGE EL (Students: 614; Location: 213 AMISTAD BLVD; Grades: PK – 05)
- OLYMPIA EL (Students: 534; Location: 8439 ATHENIAN; Grades: PK – 05)
- ROSE GARDEN EL (Students: 400; Location: 506 N BLVD; Grades: PK – 04)
Private primary/middle schools in Universal City:
- FIRST BAPTIST ACADEMY (Students: 331; Location: 1401 PAT BOOKER RD; Grades: PK – 8)
- RANDOLPH CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 86; Location: 1032 PAT BOOKER ROAD; Grades: PK – 1)
Library in Universal City:
- UNIVERSAL CITY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $109,321; Location: 100 NORTHVIEW DR; 17,886 books; 2,365 audio materials; 573 video materials; 68 serial subscriptions)