According to TRANSPORTHINT, Walnut Springs, Texas is a small city located in the Hill Country region of central Texas. It is situated near the Blanco and Bosque Rivers and has a population of just over 2,000 people. The geography of Walnut Springs is mostly hilly, with plenty of wooded areas, and limestone outcroppings. The climate is mild and humid, with hot summers and mild winters.
The history of Walnut Springs dates back to 1845 when it was founded by settlers from Tennessee. The city was named after the walnut trees that grew in abundance in the area at the time. Over the years it has become an important center for ranching and farming, as well as a bustling tourist destination due to its proximity to several popular attractions such as Longhorn Caverns State Park. In recent years, Walnut Springs has seen an influx of new residents due to its vibrant economy and growing job market.
Politically speaking, Walnut Springs is part of Bosque County which leans heavily towards conservative values. Although there are some progressive-minded individuals in the area, most residents tend to favor traditional values such as strong family structures and personal responsibility. Education is also highly valued in Walnut Springs with several schools located within city limits including two elementary schools (Walnut Springs Elementary & Blanco Elementary) and one middle school (Bosque County Middle School).
The economy of Walnut Springs is largely based on agriculture, ranching, tourism and retail businesses that serve both locals and visitors alike. There are also numerous manufacturing companies in the area that employ a significant number of people from all over Central Texas.
Walnut Springs also offers numerous historical landmarks such as the historic courthouse square which houses some beautifully preserved buildings from 19th century architecture as well as several quaint shops selling local goods including antiques and art pieces made by local artists. Other notable landmarks include Stonewater Park which offers stunning views of Lake Travis along with plenty of hiking trails perfect for outdoor enthusiasts looking for a peaceful getaway close to home!
Population: 755. Estimated population in July 2020: 805 (+6.6% change)
Males: 384 (50.9%), Females: 371 (49.1%)
Zip code: 76690
Median resident age: 32.9 years
Median household income: $24,598
Median house value: $34,300
Races in Walnut Springs:
- White Non-Hispanic (68.6%)
- Hispanic (28.1%)
- Other race (8.1%)
- American Indian (3.3%)
- Two or more races (2.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Irish (11.3%), United States (11.0%), German (9.4%), English (8.7%), Norwegian (1.3%), Scottish (1.1%).
Land area: 1.3 square miles
Walnut Springs, Texas is a small town located in Bosque County. It has a population of around 1,000 people and covers an area of just over two square miles. The majority of the population is Caucasian, with Hispanic, African American and Native American individuals making up the minority. The median age of Walnut Springs is 37 years old and the median household income is $44,000. The primary industries in the town are agriculture and retail. The main crops are corn, wheat, oats and soybeans. Livestock such as beef cattle, hogs and chickens are also raised here. The retail industry consists mostly of convenience stores, small restaurants and auto repair shops. Education is provided by a single elementary school which serves students from pre-K through fifth grade. There are also two churches in Walnut Springs that serve the spiritual needs of its citizens.
The town of Walnut Springs enjoys a relatively low cost of living compared to other towns in Texas; it has an average housing cost that is lower than both state and national averages. Residents enjoy a peaceful atmosphere where they can relax after a long day’s work or spend time together with family or friends on weekends or holidays. With its close proximity to larger cities such as Waco, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio; residents have access to all the amenities found in major metropolitan areas while still having the peace and quiet of small-town life in Walnut Springs Texas.
For population 25 years and over in Walnut Springs
- High school or higher: 68.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 5.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.4%
- Unemployed: 3.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Walnut Springs city
- Never married: 22.8%
- Now married: 60.7%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 8.1%
- Divorced: 7.2%
7.2% Foreign born (6.6% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +39 (+5.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Walnut Springs:
- GLEN ROSE MEDICAL CENTER (about 12 miles; GLEN ROSE, TX)
- GOODALL WITCHER HEALTHCARE FOUNDATION (about 24 miles; CLIFTON, TX)
- LAKE GRANBURY MEDICAL CENTER (about 26 miles; GRANBURY, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Walnut Springs:
- WACO REGIONAL (about 49 miles; WACO, TX; Abbreviation: ACT)
- FORT WORTH NAS JRB/CARSWELL FIELD (about 54 miles; FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: NFW)
- FORT WORTH MEACHAM INTL (about 59 miles; FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: FTW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Walnut Springs:
- LITTLE C RANCH (about 16 miles; HICO, TX; Abbreviation: 4T7)
- CLIFTON MUNICIPAL/ISENHOWER FIELD (about 21 miles; CLIFTON, TX; Abbreviation: 7F7)
- GRANBURY MUNI (about 27 miles; GRANBURY, TX; Abbreviation: F55)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Walnut Springs:
- TARLETON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 34 miles; STEPHENVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,068)
- MCLENNAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 51 miles; WACO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,658)
- TEXAS STATE TECHNICAL COLLEGE-WACO (about 56 miles; WACO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,218)
- TARRANT COUNTY COLLEGE (about 56 miles; FT WORTH, TX; Full-time enrollment: 15,454)
- BAYLOR UNIVERSITY (about 56 miles; WACO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 13,183)
- TEXAS WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY (about 57 miles; FT WORTH, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,403)
- TEXAS CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY (about 59 miles; FT WORTH, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,032)
Public primary/middle school in Walnut Springs:
- WALNUT SPRINGS SCHOOL (Students: 255; Location: AVE A; Grades: PK – 12)