According to itypetravel.com, Weatherford, Texas is a small city in Parker County located just 25 miles west of Fort Worth. It is known for its beautiful rolling hills and diverse topography. The climate in Weatherford is mild with hot summers and cool winters. It is a great place to live with plenty of outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, and fishing.
The city was first established in 1854, when settlers from the nearby town of Aledo moved to Weatherford to establish a new settlement. The city was named after Thomas Jefferson Weatherford who donated the land for its establishment. Since then, Weatherford has grown into a thriving community with many historical landmarks including the famous Weatherford Hotel built in 1883 and the historic district downtown which features Victorian-style buildings from the late 1800s.
Politically, Weatherford is part of the Republican stronghold known as “the Bible Belt” due to its large number of conservative Christian residents. Despite this, there are still plenty of liberal-leaning citizens who participate actively in local politics. The economy in Weatherford relies heavily on agriculture and ranching, but there are also many businesses that cater to tourists such as restaurants and antique shops.
Weatherford is home to several public schools including an elementary school, middle school, high school, and college prep academy which serve students from kindergarten through 12th grade. In addition, there are several private schools which offer religious-based education or advanced studies for those seeking higher education opportunities beyond high school graduation.
Weatherford also boasts a few unique landmarks such as the Chandor Gardens which feature lush gardens filled with colorful flowers and plants surrounded by beautiful trees and fountains; Lake Mineral Wells State Park which offers camping sites along with hiking trails; and Clark Gardens which offers breathtaking views of nature at its best throughout every season.
Population: 19,000. Estimated population in July 2020: 23,315 (+22.7% change)
Males: 9,043 (47.6%), Females: 9,957 (52.4%)
Zip codes: 76086, 76087, 76088.
Median resident age: 36.4 years
Median household income: $37,714
Median house value: $84,300
Races in Weatherford:
- White Non-Hispanic (85.5%)
- Hispanic (10.2%)
- Other race (4.1%)
- Black (2.1%)
- Two or more races (1.4%)
- American Indian (1.3%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: English (13.4%), United States (12.2%), German (11.8%), Irish (11.5%), French (2.3%), Scottish (2.3%).
Elevation: 1053 feet
Land area: 20.9 square miles
Weatherford, Texas is located in Parker County and has a population of 29, 636 people. It is a small city with a rural feel and many of its inhabitants have lived there for generations. The city is diverse in terms of race, ethnicity, and age. The majority of the population is Caucasian (62%), followed by African American (21%), Hispanic or Latino (13%), and Asian/Pacific Islander (3%). The median age of the population is 36.6 years old, with almost half being under the age of 25. Although Weatherford has grown over the years due to its close proximity to Fort Worth, it still retains its rural charm and values. There are plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy including hiking trails, fishing ponds, parks, golf courses, and more. Weatherford also boasts numerous festivals throughout the year such as Crawfish Boil & Music Festivals and Western Days Festival which attract people from all over Texas! In addition to outdoor activities, Weatherford also has an active cultural life with galleries, museums, theaters and live music venues that provide entertainment for all ages. With its small-town feel combined with big city amenities nearby in Fort Worth , Weatherford is ideal for families looking for a safe place to raise their children while still being close enough to experience the excitement of a larger city.
For population 25 years and over in Weatherford
- High school or higher: 81.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 23.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.3%
- Unemployed: 5.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Weatherford city
- Never married: 20.1%
- Now married: 57.4%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 9.7%
- Divorced: 11.2%
3.8% Foreign born (2.7% Latin America, 0.5% Europe, 0.4% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +3,160 (+19.9%).
Hospital/medical center in Weatherford:
- CAMPBELL HEALTH SYSTEM (713 E ANDERSON ST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Weatherford:
- HARRIS METHODIST NORTHWEST (about 20 miles; AZLE, TX)
- PALO PINTO GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; MINERAL WELLS, TX)
- LAKE GRANBURY MEDICAL CENTER (about 23 miles; GRANBURY, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Weatherford:
- FORT WORTH NAS JRB/CARSWELL FIELD (about 25 miles; FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: NFW)
- FORT WORTH MEACHAM INTL (about 31 miles; FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: FTW)
- FORT WORTH ALLIANCE (about 36 miles; FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: AFW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Weatherford:
- PARKER COUNTY (about 9 miles; WEATHERFORD, TX; Abbreviation: WEA)
- HORSESHOE BEND (about 15 miles; WEATHERFORD, TX; Abbreviation: F78)
- MINERAL WELLS (about 19 miles; MINERAL WELLS, TX; Abbreviation: MWL)
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Weatherford:
- WEATHERFORD COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 1,940; Location: 225 COLLEGE PARK DRIVE; Public; Website: www.wc.edu)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Weatherford:
- TARRANT COUNTY COLLEGE (about 32 miles; FT WORTH, TX; Full-time enrollment: 15,454)
- TEXAS CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY (about 35 miles; FT WORTH, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,032)
- SOUTHWESTERN BAPTIST THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY (about 35 miles; FT WORTH, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,253)
- TEXAS WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY (about 36 miles; FT WORTH, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,403)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT ARLINGTON (about 45 miles; ARLINGTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 15,467)
- TARLETON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 48 miles; STEPHENVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,068)
- TEXAS WOMAN’S UNIVERSITY (about 56 miles; DENTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,746)
Public high schools in Weatherford:
- WEATHERFORD H S (Students: 1,424; Location: 2121 BETHEL RD; Grades: 10 – 12)
- PEASTER H S (Students: 309; Location: 8512 F M 920; Grades: 09 – 12)
- PASS LEARNING CENTER (Students: 78; Location: 900 N ELM; Grades: 09 – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Weatherford:
- CURTIS EL (Students: 672; Location: 501 RUSSELL; Grades: PK – 06)
- HALL MS (Students: 606; Location: 902 CHARLES; Grades: 07 – 08)
- WEATHERFORD H S NINTH GRADE CENTER (Students: 604; Location: 1007 S MAIN ST; Grades: 09 – 09)
- BILL WRIGHT EL (Students: 570; Location: 1309 CHARLES; Grades: PK – 06)
- TISON MS (Students: 510; Location: 102 MEADOW VIEW DR; Grades: 07 – 08)
- CROCKETT EL (Students: 506; Location: 1015 JAMESON; Grades: PK – 06)
- MARY MARTIN EL (Students: 505; Location: 719 N OAK RDG DR; Grades: PK – 06)
- AUSTIN EL (Students: 468; Location: 1776 TEXAS DR; Grades: PK – 06)
- BOSE IKARD ELEMENTARY (Students: 442; Location: 100 IKARD LN; Grades: PK – 06)
- PEASTER EL (Students: 396; Location: 8512 F M 920; Grades: PK – 05)
Private primary/middle school in Weatherford:
- WEATHERFORD SDA SCHOOL (Students: 7; Location: P O BOX 98; Grades: 2 – 8)
Library in Weatherford:
- WEATHERFORD PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $712,737; Location: 1014 CHARLES ST; 88,939 books; 5,365 audio materials; 3,686 video materials; 350 serial subscriptions)