According to Topmbadirectory, Wellman, Texas is a small city located in the south-central region of the state. It has a population of about 5,000 people and covers an area of about 3 square miles. Geographically speaking, Wellman is situated in a flat plain crossed by small rivers and creeks. The soil is mostly sandy but it is also rich in minerals and other resources.
The climate in Wellman is semi-arid with hot summers and mild winters. The average temperature during the summer months ranges from 80 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit while during winter it averages around 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Rainfall is scarce but it does occur occasionally, usually during spring or fall when thunderstorms are more frequent.
Wellman was founded during the mid 19th century as a small farming community. It was largely rural until after World War II when industry began to move into the area, leading to an urbanization of the city over time. Today Wellman has a diverse economy that includes manufacturing, agriculture, tourism and retail businesses.
Politics in Wellman are mostly dominated by conservative values but there are many progressive voices as well. The city council consists of five members who are elected every two years by popular vote from among the citizens of Wellman.
The schools in Wellman include two elementary schools and one middle school which are all part of the local public school district that serves over 1,400 students from pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. There is also one high school located just outside of town that serves students from Wellman as well as nearby communities.
Wellman has several landmarks that make it unique including its historic downtown area which features several old buildings including an old courthouse built in 1882, several churches dating back to early settlers and a number of other buildings that have been restored over time to preserve their historic significance for future generations to enjoy. Other local attractions include natural parks such as Lake Livingston State Park which offers camping, hiking trails and fishing opportunities for visitors year round as well as museums like the Wellman Historical Museum which tells the story of this unique Texas town through exhibits showcasing its culture and history for visitors both young and old alike to explore.
Population: 203. Estimated population in July 2020: 201 (-1.0% change)
Males: 95 (46.8%), Females: 108 (53.2%)
Zip code: 79378
Median resident age: 37.8 years
Median household income: $50,833
Median house value: $31,300
Races in Wellman:
- White Non-Hispanic (70.4%)
- Hispanic (29.1%)
- Other race (11.8%)
- American Indian (3.0%)
- Two or more races (2.0%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (13.8%), Irish (12.8%), English (10.3%), German (5.9%), Scotch-Irish (1.5%), Welsh (1.5%).
Land area: 0.3 square miles
Wellman, Texas is a small rural town located in the heart of the Texas Hill Country. As of the 2010 census, Wellman had a population of 874 people. The majority of the population is white (83%), with a small percentage of Hispanic or Latino residents (13%). Most residents are employed in agriculture or related industries, such as ranching and farming. The median household income is $34,824 and the median age is 39 years old. The town also includes a relatively high number of veterans- approximately 11% of the population are veterans.
The small town has many amenities to offer its residents, including two churches, a library, several restaurants and businesses, and even a post office. There are also several parks located throughout Wellman which provide plenty of recreational activities for locals and visitors alike. Additionally, there are several golf courses located just outside Wellman that provide excellent opportunities for golfers to enjoy their favorite sport. With its close proximity to larger cities such as Austin and San Antonio as well as nearby towns like Fredericksburg and Johnson City, Wellman provides an ideal location for those looking for a rural lifestyle without sacrificing easy access to larger cities and towns.
For population 25 years and over in Wellman
- High school or higher: 76.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 25.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.8%
- Unemployed: 2.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wellman city
- Never married: 16.1%
- Now married: 71.4%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 2.5%
- Divorced: 8.7%
7.4% Foreign born (7.4% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -35 (-14.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Wellman:
- BROWNFIELD REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 12 miles; BROWNFIELD, TX)
- YOAKUM COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 30 miles; DENVER CITY, TX)
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 31 miles; SEMINOLE, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Wellman:
- LUBBOCK INTL (about 60 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Abbreviation: LBB)
- LEA COUNTY RGNL (about 60 miles; HOBBS, NM; Abbreviation: HOB)
- MIDLAND INTERNATIONAL (about 79 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Abbreviation: MAF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Wellman:
- SEAGRAVES (about 10 miles; SEAGRAVES, TX; Abbreviation: F97)
- TERRY COUNTY (about 19 miles; BROWNFIELD, TX; Abbreviation: Q26)
- DENVER CITY (about 29 miles; DENVER CITY, TX; Abbreviation: E57)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wellman:
- SOUTH PLAINS COLLEGE (about 39 miles; LEVELLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,851)
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 58 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)
- MIDLAND COLLEGE (about 74 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,800)
- ODESSA COLLEGE (about 82 miles; ODESSA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,555)
- WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 93 miles; PLAINVIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,578)
- EASTERN NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 100 miles; PORTALES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,955)
- WEST TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY (about 137 miles; CANYON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,476)
Public primary/middle school in Wellman:
- WELLMAN-UNION SCHOOL (Students: 256; Location: 5TH & TERRY; Grades: PK – 12)